|The grave yard within the grounds of St. Nicholas church was closed for new burial in 1849. Later
that same year the new burial ground was opened along the High St, which we know as the Cemetery today. The then
Duke of Grafton gave the land which was used to create the new burial ground. After 150 years, the Cemetery is
also now closed and the graveyard again is open for new burials.
The first occupant of the Cemetery was John
Horton of Yardley Gobion on the 16th December 1849. The 5th Duke of Grafton also was buried in the Cemetery and
became the only Duke not to be interred in the family tomb at Euston Hall, Suffolk in 1863.