The Reindeer - Potterspury
|Home > Village History > News > The Reindeer|
(picture to come)
Over 200 years ago an inn was built on the Watling Street at Potterspury to cater for the increasing traffic on this main road.
It served throughout the profitable coaching era, kept numerous horses in its stables, and had its own maltings. Struggling after the railways took away its livelihood it regained importance with the motor car – and few Watling Street “regulars” did not know of “The Reindeer”.
The M1 hit trade hard again. A small village could not on its own keep three main road inns going. Near neighbour “The Anchor” was the first to disappear.
“The Reindeer” closed its doors last year but in two months time it will be reopened – for the sale of antiques.
Mr Ernest Sladen is the new owner. He has been an antique dealer since leaving the Army in 1946, and for the past four years has had a small shop at Stony Stratford.
Now he will have more room to display his antiques in this large inn with its wonderful position and 1 ˝ acres of land.
Mr Sladen has also bought the Maltings, thus safeguarding the building as the headquarters of the Potterspury Youth Club.